Montrealers who lost loved ones to violence want more resources

Posted August 26, 2023 5:05 pm.
Last Updated August 26, 2023 6:35 pm.
Families who lost loved ones to violence in Montreal are sharing their painful stories in the hopes they can lead to meaningful change.
Lynne-Marie Baudouy’s son Lucas Gaudet was fatally stabbed outside a West Island school in 2022.
“It’ll be 50 years and I’ll still feel the void,” Baudouy said. “He’s supposed to be here. He’s not supposed to be sitting in an urn at home.”
Charla Dopwell lost her son Janai Dopwell Bailey the year before; he was stabbed to death near his school.
“I still light my candles every day,” said the grieving mother.
Thomas Kane Jr.’s mother was a victim of domestic violence.
“The person who took my mother’s life was my father,” he said.
Jade Hunte’s father Andrew Hunte-Longshaw was shot and killed outside a bar 15 years ago. Witnesses say he was trying to break up a fight.
“We’re still staying strong,” said Hunte.
RELATED: A basketball tournament to spread awareness on rising cases of youth violence in Montreal
The loved ones of the deceased were part of a conference Saturday organized by the Center for Research-Action and Race Relations and the Jamaica Association of Montreal.
Organizers and participants want support services to be developed, and for communities to receive equitable access to crime prevention resources.

“Together Against Violence” press conference hosted by CRARR featuring family members who lost loved ones to violence, Aug. 26, 2023. (Brittany Henriques, CityNews)
Sixteen-year-old Lucas Gaudet was stabbed Feb. 8, 2022, after an altercation. He died of his injuries two days later.
“Life has stopped,” his mother said Saturday.
A then 16-year-old was sentenced to five years for Lucas’ death. The teen pleaded guilty to one count of second-degree murder and one count of aggravated assault.
“There’s no justice,” said Baudouy. “Yeah, the kid’s in jail, he got stopped. He’s getting out in three years. He gets to live his life, he gets to move on, he gets to graduate, get married, have kids. Lucas will never get to do that.”
Jannai Dopwell-Bailey, 16, was fatally stabbed outside his Côte-des-Neiges high school on Oct. 18, 2021.
“I got a call from the police saying my son was hurt and then they come and grab me off the bus, straight to the hospital,” recounted the boy’s mother. “I didn’t see my son for a whole month, I saw him with everybody else when we had the viewing.”
Two suspects were charged with second-degree murder – one of them was a minor. Both cases entered the trial stage last year.
Fifteen years after her father was killed, Jade Hunte is still waiting for answers.
“We believe that we will receive justice at some point,” she said. “It happened outside of Concordia where I lost my father, and it was on film and I don’t feel enough was done.”
The families of victims say some help is available, but many don’t know about the resources. They say a better job needs to be done to seek those affected and help them get help.
“Spread the word for people to understand that there are a lot of victims out there,” said Hunt. “There is a lot of crime happening in Montreal, and there needs to be organizations out there that are trying to give back, help out and share that they are there to help victims of crime.”
“Anybody who’s going through something similar, that you’re not alone,” added Kane Jr. “It’s possible to overcome anything that you’re going through.”