Montreal tech billionaire Robert Miller arrested, charged with sexual assault

"Our sole purpose is to serve the victims. That's why we're here," said Montreal Police Inspector David Shane at a press conference following the arrest of tech billionaire Robert Miller. Anastasia Dextrene reports.

By News Staff & The Canadian Press

Montreal Tech billionaire Robert Miller was arrested Thursday and is facing several sexual assault charges following an investigation by the SPVM.

The 80-year-old’s arrest is linked to events that allegedly took place between 1994 and 2016 involving 10 victims, some that were minors at the time.


RELATED: Quebec billionaire Robert Miller can be questioned about sex case before trial: judge


“The Montreal police have just arrested Robert Miller. He was arrested a bit more than an hour ago by our investigators from our sexual exploitation unit at his home in Westmount on an arrest warrant,” said SPVM Inspector David Shane.

“A total of 21 counts were authorized by the DPCP against Miller for the following offenses. Sexual assault, obtaining sexual services for consideration, procuring, sexual exploitation, inducing prostitution, sexual interference, and sexual intercourse with a minor for consideration.”

Miller ‘reiterates his innocence

In a press release, Miller “continues to reiterate his innocence. The clear motivation behind this whole case, dating back as far as 30 years ago, is easy financial gain at his expense.”

“Mr. Miller deplores the fact that the Director of Criminal and Penal Prosecutions [DPCP] chose to initiate proceedings against him, notwithstanding its knowledge that his state of health prevents him from defending himself.”

The statement says that Miller is suffering from very advanced degenerative Parkinson’s disease. “He is in an extremely frail condition. He is bedridden and under 24/7 care.”

“Despite this, Mr. Miller will vigorously protect his reputation, fight for the truth and refute these false allegations with equal determination.”

Montreal police: Investigation is ongoing

The SPVM is inviting any possible victims to come forward by contacting the sexual exploitation unit, dialing 911 or visiting their local police station.

Shane says the charges send a message to victims that it is never to late to lodge a complaint, and he credits media reporting last year with helping to revive the investigation.

“In 2008 and 2009, we did conduct a very thorough investigation and we gave all the reports, all the conclusions to the Crown Prosecutors. Unfortunately, at that time, no charges were authorized,” Shane told CityNews. “In February 2023, the Crown Prosecutors and the Montreal Police called upon any new victims, any witness […] we did submit a new case with all this new information, and this time it worked.”

Miller stepped down as chairman and CEO of Future Electronics in February 2023, saying he would focus on protecting his reputation amid reports by CBC and Radio-Canada that he allegedly gave young women cash, trips and extravagant gifts in exchange for sex.

“Our sole purpose is to serve the victims. That’s why we’re here. That’s why we called the press conference today,” Shane said. “First is to make sure that these types of suspects don’t make other victims, but also it’s justice. The police is part of the justice system with the Crown Prosecutors, and we want them, all the victims, alleged victims, to feel safe, to feel reassured that they can trust the legal system. And this is a good example that it works.”

Miller was released but is scheduled to appear in court on July 3.

SPVM Investigator Shane added: “the investigation is still continuing. So it’s not over. It’s still possible that we’ll have other developments in this case.”

-With files from The Canadian Press

Top Stories

Top Stories