Stretcher occupancy rates in Montreal ERs continue to climb

By News Staff

Stretcher occupancy rates in Quebec emergency rooms have been increasing for the last three weeks, but haven’t reached the levels seen during the first two weeks of January.

The peak of winter activity should soon be reached – in about two weeks, according to Santé Québec.

The health agency says that for Montreal, they’ve seen consistent increases — reaching 143 per cent stretcher occupancy rates this week. For the 450 area — Laval, the Laurentians, Lanaudière, and Montérégie — rates fluctuated around 137 per cent.

“Overall, there’s been a deterioration in the stretcher occupancy rate for most regions of the province. If this trend continues, we anticipate reaching the peak for stretcher occupancy rates within the next two weeks,” said Robin Marie Coleman, Santé Québec’s assistant vice-president of access and care pathway co-ordination. 

On Friday morning, Quebec’s ERs were – on average – at 125 per cent over capacity across the province.

Hospitals in Montreal were at 147 per cent over capacity, with the Lakeshore at 197 per cent, the Royal Victoria at 188 per cent, and LaSalle at 187 per cent.

Montreal and the 450 regions are said to to see higher numbers because of aging populations that need more complex care when they go to the ER.

Coleman adds that many elderly people entering emergency departments stay there while waiting for a place in a CHSLD. “The solution is not just to create more CHSLDs. We need to change our practices so that people can stay in their own homes as long as possible.”

Almost 10,000 patients went to Quebec hospital ERs last week

About 9,787 patients visited emergency rooms in Quebec last week – an increase of almost four per cent compared to last year, which represents an additional 350 visits per day in the emergency rooms throughout the province.

Coleman points out that many of these emergency room visits involve people with “flu-like symptoms.”

She also mentions that more and more overcapacity beds are being opened to handle the growing arrivals, although this is not a sustainable solution.

“As Santé-Québec is aware, the access to front-line services are not perfect. Appointments can be difficult to find, and we are working on ways to improve that at this time,” added Coleman.

From Jan. 20 to 26, Santé Québec and its partners, in particular, family medicine groups, offered five per cent more appointments than for the same time period in 2024.

If your condition is not urgent, don’t go to an ER

“Once again, we reiterate that there are other options than the emergency room for people who are seeking non-urgent medical care,” explained Coleman.

“Info-Santé 811 option 1; the primary access care access point 811, option 3; your pharmacist […] different services that are available in your local pharmacy; your family doctor; your local CLSC; and any other services that are really developed at a local level close to you.”

Santé Québec will hold another weekly update next Friday on the situation in the province’s ERs.

“As always, we remind you that if you do have a worrisome, serious health condition, please do not hesitate to consult in the emergency room,” said Coleman.

Top Stories

Top Stories

Most Watched Today