Hidden 2022 report reveals dangerous conditions in dozens of Quebec CHSLD’s

"Feeding the patient is as important as medical treatment," says Paul Brunet, a patient right's advocate, as he discusses some of the widespread problems with food in CHSLD's, revealed in a 2022 report that has now resurfaced. Corinne Boyer reports.

A previously disclosed 2022 report commissioned by Quebec’s Ministry of Health has surfaced, revealing alarming conditions in nearly 60 long-term care homes (CHSLD) across the province.

According to Les Usagers de la Santé du Québec (LUSQ) , who say they uncovered the report, the state of hygiene and sanitation was so poor it posed an immediate threat to health and safety of residents.

“We’ve asked for access to information and got the document finally,” said Paul Brunet, patient rights advocate. “I understand that the government didn’t want to publish it because of the content, which is very serious. You know, at least 50 per cent of long-term facilities admit patients with problems of healthiness, problems of quality of food, quality of offer, quality of training.”

“The fact that this report was kept secret by the ministry of health, then we say to ourselves, well, if it’s secret, it means that there’s something very important in that,” said Pierre Blain, executive director at LUSQ. “And then we requested for the report, and we found it. And it was amazing. The facts about nutrition and several long-term facilities in Quebec was disastrous.”

The report produced by L’institut de Tourisme et D’hôtellerie du Québec (ITHQ), showcased many facilities with problems related to food production, even stating that “food quality is not optimal, and may even compromise food safety.”

“The report seems to be saying that yes, there is a problem, and I think, and I hope that the ministry responsible for quality of food and healthiness of food, will be inquiring in those matters and have the things settled up,” said Brunet. “It needs to be addressed.”

Page 11 of the ITHQ report in 2022, that reveals some of the hygiene and sanitation problems found in certain CHSLD’s across the province. (Corinne Boyer, CityNews)

“The nutrition is very dangerous for old age people because that means that they could fall, they could hurt themselves and they could have other health problems from that nutrition,” said Blain.

On top of difficulties with food production, certain facilities have listed having problems related to leaky and moldy ceilings, soiled drains, the presence of mice in kitchens and even cooks having to be reminded to wash their hands before handling food.

“In the report, they are talking about they don’t have anything to dry the boards to make the sandwiches, meaning that it could be dangerous for their health,” said Blain.

According to Blain, nothing has been done to correct the situation, on the contrary, he says that ministerial visits have changed and reports have become less detailed.

“My feeling is after that this report was so damaging, they changed the format of the visits now,” said Blain. “Before it was something about 12 or 15 pages. Now it’s resumed to two pages only.”

Quebec Health Minister Christian Dube responds to the opposition during question period at the Quebec National Assembly on Tuesday, May 20, 2025. THE CANADIAN PRESS/Jacques Boissinot

After working to get their hands on the report, Blain says the LUSQ is now calling on the government to organize more emergency visits in CHSLD across Quebec.

“We wrote to the minister, and we will contact also the opposition to make sure that there will also ask questions at the national assembly next week,” said Blain. “This is very, very important for all people who live in Quebec and need to have the services they paid for so long.”

Keep it Factual
Add CityNews Montreal as a trusted source on Google to see more local stories from us.

Top Stories

Top Stories

Most Watched Today