Timeline of COVID-19 in Quebec in 2021

Video Player is loading.
Current Time 0:00
Duration 4:40
Loaded: 0.00%
Stream Type LIVE
Remaining Time 4:40
 
1x
    • Chapters
    • descriptions off, selected
    • en (Main), selected

    'Freedom Convoy' organizers found guilty of mischief

    UP NEXT:

    From COVID-19 lockdowns to a historic curfew, Quebec, like the rest of the world, has been affected by pandemic restrictions. Alyssia Rubertucci provides a timeline of the events that unfolded in Quebec over the last year.

    From lockdowns to a historic curfew, Quebec’s 2021 was affected by COVID-19 restrictions. Here’s a timeline of how the pandemic shaped the year for Quebecers.


    January

    Premier François Legault announced the strictest of pandemic lockdown measures: the start of Quebec’s nearly six-month province-wide curfew. Quebec was the only province to implement such a measure. Quebecers who didn’t have a valid reason – such as for work – couldn’t be out past 8 p.m.

     

    Quebec’s historic provincewide curfew begins Saturday
    The curfew will be in effect from 8pm to 5am daily, for four weeks. All non-essential businesses must close and working from home has been made mandatory. Samsara Rainville has more.
    Video Player is loading.
    Current Time 0:00
    Duration 2:46
    Loaded: 0%
    Stream Type LIVE
    Remaining Time 2:46
     
    1x
      • Chapters
      • descriptions off, selected
      • en (Main), selected

      February

      Quebec reached a grim milestone: surpassing 10,000 deaths due to COVID-19. That accounted for just under half of Canada’s total deaths from the virus at the time.

       

      Quebec surpasses 10,000 COVID-19 deaths
      “I don’t want her to be a statistic,” says Allison Jacobson, whose grandmother Phyllis Engelberg died of COVID-19 in December. As Quebec surpassed 10,000 COVID-19 deaths, family members say they’re not just numbers. Alyssia Rubertucci reports.
      Video Player is loading.
      Current Time 0:00
      Duration 3:37
      Loaded: 0%
      Stream Type LIVE
      Remaining Time 3:37
       
      1x
        • Chapters
        • descriptions off, selected
        • en (Main), selected

        End of February into March

        Mass vaccination sites were set up around Montreal – including at Olympic Stadium – as vaccinations were announced for the general population.

         

        Day one of Quebec’s COVID-19 vaccine appointments
        “Starting at noon, we had more than 70,000 appointments,” says Quebec Health Minister, Christian Dubé, on day one of appointments for Quebec’s mass vaccination campaign for those 85+. Alyssia Rubertucci reports.
        Video Player is loading.
        Current Time 0:00
        Duration 2:21
        Loaded: 0%
        Stream Type LIVE
        Remaining Time 2:21
         
        1x
          • Chapters
          • descriptions off, selected
          • captions off, selected
          • en (Main), selected

          Mid-May

          Quebecers 18 and over could book appointments for their first shot of the COVID-19 vaccine.

           

          All Quebec adults now eligible for COVID-19 vaccine
          “So many young people, and I’m very happy to be part of them,” says 24-year-old Marci Li, who was among thousands who turned out for a COVID-19 vaccine on the first day 18+ were eligible in Quebec. Alyssia Rubertucci reports.
          Video Player is loading.
          Current Time 0:00
          Duration 2:48
          Loaded: 0%
          Stream Type LIVE
          Remaining Time 2:48
           
          1x
            • Chapters
            • descriptions off, selected
            • en (Main), selected

            End of May

            Many restrictions came to an end. The province-wide curfew was lifted, restaurant terraces reopened, gatherings of up to eight people in backyards were allowed, and travelling between regions became permitted.

            A reminder of the first wave came when dozens of testimonies were heard at the coroner’s inquiry into deaths at Quebec’s seniors’ residences during the spring of 2020, led by coroner Géhane Kamel.

            Premier Legault unveils reopening plan for Quebec
            "Starting Friday next week, May 28, in all regions, the curfew will be lifted," said Premier Legault as he gave Quebecers a roadmap to deconfining the province. He expects all regions to be a 'green' zone by the end of June.
            Video Player is loading.
            Current Time 0:00
            Duration 2:17
            Loaded: 0%
            Stream Type LIVE
            Remaining Time 2:17
             
            1x
              • Chapters
              • descriptions off, selected
              • en (Main), selected

              August

              The Quebec government announced that a vaccine passport would be implemented in September. Only those fully vaccinated could access non-essential activities in certain high and moderate risk sectors in Quebec, including in bars and restaurants.

              The announcement was met with backlash. Protests broke out, and thousands took to the streets of downtown Montreal to denounce it.

              Quebec’s vaccine passport system now in effect
              “We’re going to a restaurant and going to use it for the first time,” says one Montrealer of Quebec’s vaccine passport that came into effect Wednesday. Proof of vaccination is now required for some non-essential services. Alyssia Rubertucci reports.
              Video Player is loading.
              Current Time 0:00
              Duration 2:58
              Loaded: 0.00%
              Stream Type LIVE
              Remaining Time 2:58
               
              1x
                • Chapters
                • descriptions off, selected
                • en (Main), selected

                September

                Quebec Health Minister Christian Dubé announced a vaccine mandate for health-care workers. All unvaccinated employees were to be suspended without pay, but the Oct. 15 deadline was pushed back to November.

                Dubé ultimately backtracked on the decision, saying the loss of unvaccinated staff – about 8,000 employees at the time – would have a “devastating effect” on the system.

                Quebec backtracks on mandatory COVID-19 vaccination for health-care workers
                “As workers in the health network, you have a moral duty to protect the clients that you treat,” said Quebec Health Minister Christian Dube, who announced mandatory vaccinations will no longer be required for current Quebec health-care employees.
                Video Player is loading.
                Current Time 0:00
                Duration 0:00
                Loaded: 0%
                Stream Type LIVE
                Remaining Time 0:00
                 
                1x
                  • Chapters
                  • descriptions off, selected
                  • captions off, selected

                    November

                    Vaccinations were made available to Quebec children. About 650,000 kids aged five to 11 became eligible for a shot.

                    Quebec 5 to 11-year-olds get COVID-19 vaccine
                    “I feel good now because it’s sad getting COVID, but then it's good getting the vaccine,” said 11-year-old Karan Kececi after getting his first COVID-19 shot in Montreal on Wednesday. Brittany Henriques reports.
                    Video Player is loading.
                    Current Time 0:00
                    Duration 0:00
                    Loaded: 0%
                    Stream Type LIVE
                    Remaining Time 0:00
                     
                    1x
                      • Chapters
                      • descriptions off, selected
                      • captions off, selected

                        December

                        COVID-19 boosters were made available for people 60 and over, and for those with health issues.

                        Right before the holidays, Premier Legault announced new measures to help stop the spread of the Omicron variant. He capped Christmas gatherings at 10 people and limited stores and restaurants to 50 per cent capacity.

                        Bars, gyms and movie theatres were shut down days before Christmas, with restaurants having to close at 10pm – to help stop the spread as cases hit record levels. And as of Dec. 26 – gatherings inside homes limited to six people or two family bubbles and restaurants also limiting tables to six or two family bubbles.

                        New Health Measures for Quebecers
                        "Stay home because then the risk is essentially zero," says Dr. Christopher Labos. As of December 26th six people or two family bubbles can be inside for private gatherings. Premier Legault urging Quebecers to stay home. Felisha Adam reports.
                        Video Player is loading.
                        Current Time 0:00
                        Duration 0:00
                        Loaded: 0%
                        Stream Type LIVE
                        Remaining Time 0:00
                         
                        1x
                          • Chapters
                          • descriptions off, selected
                          • captions off, selected

                            Top Stories

                            Top Stories

                            Most Watched Today