Quebec Major Junior Hockey League starts season with new safety prevention measures

By CityNews Staff

The Quebec Major Junior Hockey League (QMJHL) is introducing new measures to improve player and staff safety as the regular season begins Friday.

In a press conference on Thursday, Commissioner Mario Cecchini unveiled new measures that were created in response to recommendations made following the Parliamentary Committee’s hearings held earlier this year which called for major governance and cultural changes within the league following allegations of sexual hazing.


RELATED:


Among them, head coaches, general managers, and athletic therapists underwent workshops last week on the league’s commitment to awareness and education for its players and staff.

The QMJHL says they have reviewed their policies to emphasize prevention and education and will be able to provide players and staff with more resources and tools.

The league says it has also formalized an agreement with the complaint officer whose role is to analyze complaints related to abuse, harassment, and violence. They say the new partnership establishes an independent way for players and staff to report concerning situations.


RELATED:


A Dressing Room Code and a Code of Conduct will also be introduced, which represent a formal commitment to the behaviour which is expected by the League. Every QMJHL player and staff member will be required to sign this document.

The QMJHL has also implemented new playing rules for the 2023-2024 season including new fighting rules and other regulations which can be viewed here.

Top Stories

Top Stories

Most Watched Today