STM to shut down for strike, unless deal reached

“Workers should absolutely get their demands,” said Sonam Maki, a Montrealer, about the upcoming strike by the bus drivers and metro operators' union that will shut down STM transit services in Montreal this weekend. Gareth Madoc-Jones reports.

STM will be fully shut down this weekend if a deal with the bus drivers and metro operators union is not reached.

From 4 a.m. on Nov. 15 to 3:59 a.m. on Nov. 17, STM services will be completely suspended, with the exception of paratransit services.

“We are doing everything in our power to reach an agreement before the end of the week and try to avoid this weekend’s strike. However, only the union can suspend the strike, and we are asking them to reconsider it given the impact on the public,” said the STM in an email to CityNews on Friday morning.

Some Montrealers say they feel that impact already. “I think that it’s inconvenient obviously, but I think that’s definitely part of the point,” said resident Sonam Maki, who supports workers pushing for better conditions. She added that “the workers should absolutely get their demands met.”

Others worry about how they’ll get around. “Honestly, I’m kind of scared for tomorrow and the day after,” said Gabrielle Leblanc. “I don’t know how I’m going to get to work. I’m going to take an Uber, but I’d rather not.”

The union, SCFP 1983, which represents 4,500 bus drivers and metro operators, is also reiterating that they are still in mediation, but couldn’t comment further.
Wednesday night the Labour tribunal (TAT) approved the strike.

TAT’s decision came on the heels of STM maintenance workers calling off their strike earlier Wednesday that began on Nov. 1 and was set to go until Nov. 28.

Some Montrealers are frustrated with the tribunal’s decision. “It’s really bad for the city and for the elderly,” said Christos, another Montrealer. “We feel it everyday . It’s really bad.”

Several residents say the strike is too disruptive. “This strike is paralyzing the entire community and all users,” said Constantin A. Odou, speaking in French. “In my humble opinion, tomorrow’s strike shouldn’t have happened. We need to think of the users.”

The STM invites commuters to plan their trips carefully by consulting the STM website.

On Thursday, Premier Legault said his government won’t be invoking closure — which allows the government to ram through a legislation without a debate in the National Assembly — to advance Bill 14. The law would give powers the labour minister to intervene during strike in order to maintain essential services.

Pie-IX metro station in Montreal. Nov. 14, 2025. (CityNews)

Maintenance workers pause strike late Tuesday night

Service gradually returned to normal on Wednesday after the maintenance workers’ union, which had been on strike since Nov. 1, suspended its strike in anticipation of government intervention.

The union, Syndicat du transport de Montréal-CSN representing 2,400 maintenance workers, began a strike on the evening of Oct. 31. It was scheduled to continue until Nov. 28, before being suspended late Tuesday evening, after a dozen days of walkouts, with only essential services provided during rush hour.

On Friday morning, that union said there was no news for the moment and that negotiations were still taking place.

The STM said that the three offers, including salary improvements along with cost-saving measures, were rejected by the maintenance workers union. But, added that negotiations were ongoing.

“Even though those offers were rejected, we’re not giving up,” the STM said. “A negotiated agreement remains the best outcome for everyone. We are still in mediation. We’ll reassess the situation at the end of the mediation period which is Nov. 28.”

STM bus on Saint Laurent Boulevard. Nov. 14, 2025. (Gareth Madoc-Jones, CityNews)

Businesses react

The Canadian Federation of Independent Businesses (CFIB) said that the transit shutdown will have an irreversible impact on the businesses.

In a press release, the CFIB said that nearly 1 in 2 businesses believed that the strike has resulted in financial losses.

Nearly two-thirds of small business owners reported that the transit disruptions increased their operating costs due to delays, absenteeism and logistics, according to CFIB.

Criticizing the Labour tribunal’s decision to allow a full shutdown, François Vincent, CFIB’s vice president for Quebec, said, “Small and medium-sized businesses are already under extreme pressure; this is not the time to cause them to lose revenue. This chaos has gone on long enough.”

Some business owners agree. “The business dropped by a minimum of 40 to 50 percent,” said Roger Azuelos, owner of Emmanuel Men’s Clothing in Old Montreal. “No traffic, no business. Bring the metro back and we get back into business.”

Roger Azuelos owner of Emmanuel Men’s Clothing in Old Montreal. Nov. 14, 2025. (Gareth Madoc-Jones, CityNews)

Michel Rochette, Quebec president of the Retail Council of Canada, said that at least partial service must be maintained. “The complete shutdown of public transportation has a major domino effect: employees unable to get to work, customers unable to access stores, supply chains disrupted,” Rochette said.

Some Montrealers blame recent government decisions for the tensions. “The amount of work they’re being asked to do for the amount of pay isn’t conducive to the cost of living,” said Sonam Maki, pointing to funding cuts. “I think it’s come down to the government, especially with the CAQ cutting a lot of transportation funding.”

– With files from La Presse Canadienne

Top Stories

Top Stories

Most Watched Today