Allegations of racism at SPVM: Montreal civil rights groups call for public inquiry

By CityNews Staff & The Canadian Press

Four civil society groups are calling on the CAQ government to launch a public inquiry into “police racism and racial profiling within the Montreal Police Service (SPVM).”

Hoodstock, the Saint-Michel Legal Clinic, the League for Rights and Freedoms, and the Canadian Civil Liberties Association sent a letter to Premier Christine Fréchette on Thursday to convey their request.

 “A public inquiry is actually something that can help us understand that we’re not talking about some bad apples, it’s the whole garden,” said Fernando Belton, Executive Director, Saint-Michel Legal Clinic. “We are asking Madame Fréchette to have a commission d’enquete, which is public, which will give, we think, shed light on how wide this issue is, how deep does it go, and what kind of recommendation that we need.”

The letter was sent about a week after the SPVM announced, last Friday evening, that it had disbanded a team from Station 39 in Montréal-Nord due to serious allegations of racist behavior.

According to the four signatory organizations, “recent events, as well as testimonies, studies, and court rulings in recent years, demonstrate the importance of a frank and in-depth reflection on ways to combat discriminatory practices within the SPVM.”

“Shocked but not surprised, I had clients who have been, have their locks being pulled out multiple times by police officers. It’s not the first time I hear something like this,” said Belton. “Every week we have people coming here at the legal clinic of Saint-Michel telling us that they have been victims either of racial profiling or police brutality every week.” 

In their view, “a public commission of inquiry is the only mechanism that would address the current breach of trust on the part of the entire population toward law enforcement.”

“The people of Quebec deserve public institutions that inspire trust, respect everyone’s rights and freedoms, and are held accountable when serious violations are identified,” the groups argued in their letter.

According to them, “it is essential that structural measures be implemented to identify and correct the institutional flaws, discriminatory practices, and lack of accountability that have allowed racist practices to persist within the SPVM.”

An online petition with the Quebec National Assembly has also been opened demanding a public inquiry.

At a press conference Friday, Fréchette did not rule out launching a public inquiry.

“We will very soon announce the person who will serve as an observer in connection with these investigations, and we will review the results once the investigations are complete,” Fréchette said. “All possibilities are on the table. But first, we want to see the results and findings of this investigation.”

The four groups that signed the letter consider the appointment of an independent observer “completely insufficient.”

Minister of Internal Security Ian Lafrenière has also not ruled out the possibility of launching a public inquiry “if the investigation fails to shed full light on the events.”

So far, the investigation launched in March by the SPVM has led to the suspension of two police officers—whose cases have been referred to the Director of Criminal and Penal Prosecutions—and the reassignment of 14 others.

The SPVM’s investigation concerns allegations of “unacceptable actions and behavior.” According to reports from several media outlets, police officers allegedly cut the hair of people of color to turn it into “trophies.”

“All we’re hearing are statements and no action,” said Joel DeBellefeuille, Founder & Executive Director at Red Coalition. “The city of Montreal and the SPVM have to physically address these issues, get dirty, roll up their sleeves and show to the public that they actually want to have meaningful change when it comes to racism discrimination within their own city.”

Black City employees call for action

The Black employees’ committee at the City of Montreal — Réseau d’Action des Employé·e·s Noir·e·s de la Ville de Montréal (RAEN) — also issued a statement, shared with CityNews by the Red Coalition, said that the allegations of racism at Station 39 were part of a systemic reality faced its members.

“Despite these numerous efforts, we have all too often felt that our concerns were downplayed and that solutions were developed without the meaningful participation of those directly affected,” RAEN said.

The group is calling the City for concrete actions, including implementation of protective measures so people can report instances of discrimination or racism without fear retaliation and an independent review of past promotion and staffing decisions of Black employees to reveal any systemic bias.

Municipal employees state that they have been trying for years to speak out against racism and that they want solutions, rather than promises to further investigate the issue.

They argue that racism is not limited to the city’s police force, noting that blue-collar workers have taken several steps to voice their concerns, including meeting with human resources and management, as well as drafting memos and recommendations.

RAEN said there should also be an audit of the management practices in departments with repeated allegations of discrimination as well as adoption of a time-bound action plan with metrics and a consultation mechanism.

In response to the demands of the group, the mayor’s office told CityNews that it will soon be holding meetings with the employees, adding, “As we’ve said, the hardest part will be rebuilding trust. We have work to do, and even the most difficult conversations must take place to shed light on this entire situation.”

–This report by La Presse Canadienne was translated by CityNews

Keep it Factual
Add CityNews Montreal as a trusted source on Google to see more local stories from us.

Top Stories

Top Stories

Most Watched Today