New transitional housing for formerly unhoused people announced in Montreal’s Ahunstic-Cartierville

“New way of doing things,” said Sam Watts, Welcome Hall Mission president, about Montreal’s first newly built transitional housing project for people experiencing homelessness to open next year in Ahuntsic-Cartierville. Gareth Madoc-Jones reports.

A new transitional housing project for those who previously experienced homelessness was unveiled in Montreal’s Ahunstic-Cartierville borough Thursday.

The project will offer supervised living environment where residents will stay for an average of one year and receive personalized support from Welcome Hall Mission to transition to long-term housing.

The initiative called La Maison du Coin – Crémazie will be jointly developed by Welcome Hall Mission and Quebec-based affordable housing developer Domicile Fixe on a vacant site.

It will include studio units, common areas, offices and shared backyard spaces. It’s interiors were designed by Atelier L’Abri with the needs of people who have experienced homelessness.

“By combining our expertise supporting vulnerable individuals with Domicile Fixe’s real estate expertise, we are making these studios possible — spaces where we offer what is most precious: dignity,” said Sam Watts, president and CEO of Welcome Hall Mission.

“The new way of doing things, I think, is to build something that is designed from the end user’s perspective forward. And I think that’s one of the innovative aspects of this.”

Domicile Fixe president and co-founder Jean-François Tremblay said, “The housing crisis is not only about money — it is a crisis of models. As long as we continue investing in long and complex solutions, we will miss the true urgency of the situation.”

Adding, “It’s a great project we have. It’s a piece of land we already own. We heard the mayor’s call, who publicly stated that we need transitional housing, we need 2,000 units.”

Jean-François Tremblay, president and co-Founder of Domicile Fixe, who jointly developed La Maison du Coin-Crémazie transitional housing project with Welcome Hall Mission, speaks at a press conference on May 7, 2026 (Gareth Madoc-Jones, CityNews)

The new project was announced at a press conference on Thursday, with Montreal Mayor Soraya Martinez Ferrada and borough Mayor Maude Théroux-Séguin in attendance.

Martinez Ferrada said the project was a good example of partnership between the community and the private sector in solving the current housing crisis in the city.

“More than ever, we must multiply solutions to better support vulnerable individuals toward real pathways out of homelessness,” she said.

“We’re going to be there every step of the way to make sure that we’re there as a partner to help in whatever need, if there’s money, if there’s support in terms of permits.”

Théroux-Séguin welcomed the initiative and said, “I commend the innovative nature of this initiative, both socially and in terms of urban planning, and I am convinced it will inspire others.”

Residents in the area as well as the owner of a restaurant located across the street from the housing project not far from a park where children play expressed concerns about the impact it will have.

“We all have a concern that has to do with the safety of people, what kind of people are going to be here. And it’s a place that a lot of students cross by, there’s a lot of families over here, so it’s a concern for the neighbourhood,” said John Pantelas, the owner of Patate Rouge.

Gilbert Monette, a resident living close to the future transitional housing project, said, “We’re more afraid of, again, the security that is going to be around that project. If the police have to come here every day because they have some problem over there, it will not be good for the value of our house.”

Adding, “They said it will be 24-hour security, some cameras over there and everything. But we will see when it will be in place because actually we don’t know exactly what it is.” 

While Victor Esposito, Montreal city councillor for Ahuntsic-Cartierville, stated, “In this particular case, we held a consultation on April 21st. Over 60 residents showed up.” 

Before adding, “No one was against the project, but they just had questions about the project, whether it was the clientele, whether it was the timing, whether it was security measures that would be put in place.” 

To address concerns about social cohabitation, Welcome Hall Mission says they have developed a rigorous coexistence plan that includes an on-site presence, a continuous monitoring mechanism, and a proactive neighbourhood communication strategy. 

“Being a good neighbour involves a lot of different things, and we’re going to make sure that we are a good neighbour just as we are in so many of the other places where we care for people,” said Watts.

Construction on the project is expected to start in August 2026, before being completed in spring 2027, and cost around $15 million.

As well, on Monday, the Quebec government announced $28 million in funding to combat homelessness in the Outaouais, the Capitale-Nationale, and in Montreal. 21 million over three years goes to a rent supplement program for one thousand housing units, and seven million to support homeless individuals living with severe mental health issues or substance use disorders.

Keep it Factual
Add CityNews Montreal as a trusted source on Google to see more local stories from us.

Top Stories

Top Stories

Most Watched Today